I used to mourn the loss of $5 hot and ready pizzas. Not anymore! This bbq chicken pizza is SO good- it has made me forget about what’s their name’s pizza.
My inspiration came from Once A Month Meals. Their recipe uses real mozzarella, which we can’t use. Daiya mozzarella shreds sub perfectly. For the bbq sauce, we use Weber’s brand. It’s so yummy! And I use my pre-cooked and pre-portioned chicken I keep stocked in my freezer. Click here for the chicken recipe and to see how to freeze it.
I also make my own pizza dough. Click here for the dough recipe. I don’t follow their directions, though. I throw it all in my bread machine and use my “Dough” setting. It takes an hour and a half on my bread machine. I also only use HALF of the pizza dough recipe. It yields two pizzas for us, which is the perfect amount. This dough is DELISH.
BBQ Chicken Pizza:
(Adapted from this recipe at Once A Month Meals)
- 1/2 of this recipe for homemade pizza dough
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce per pizza
- 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce for coating the chicken per cup of chicken
- 2 cups of pre-cooked chicken, separated into one cup each
- 1 bag of Daiya mozzarella shreds
- Small handful of chopped onion
- 2-3 Tbs of chopped cilantro per pizza
- Make pizza dough. (Take a break for an hour and a half and then proceed to step 2.)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Flour large surface. Separate pizza dough into 2 equal parts. Flour your rolling pin. Roll each 1/2 of dough into a round circle. Use a fork to prick the raw dough. Place onto a round pizza pan or pizza stone. (I use $3.99 pizza pans with holes in them. They work great.) Bake for 6 minutes. Repeat with the second pizza dough. (I always have a few pizza dough bubbles and prick them again with the fork.)
- Lower oven temp to 400 degrees. Spread 1/3 to 1/2 cup of bbq sauce on each pizza. Use less if you want a less saucy pizza and the 1/2 cup if you like more “sauce.”
- Sprinkle half of the bag of Daiya mozzarella shreds per pizza.
- Toss each cup of chicken with 1/2 cup of bbq sauce. (Or toss two cups of chicken with one cup of bbq sauce and split the chicken between the pizzas.) Spread the bbq chicken on top of the mozzarella “cheese.” Remember, 1 cup of chicken per pizza. 🙂
- Sprinkle the onions on top of the chicken. Top with the cilantro.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 16 minutes, or until the vegan cheese is melted and the pizza crust is browned.
We have this pizza probably twice a month. We absolutely love it! We think you will, too. 😉