Apple pie without cinnamon or dairy???
That might be what you’re thinking right now. Keep reading! I promise the recipe is yummy.
I searched high and low for a recipe I could adapt and use for our diet. I’m so thankful for Grandma Ople, whoever she is, because this is her recipe.
I’ve adapted it slightly with vegan butter and the way I put the pie together.
If you can have cinnamon (I can’t), then feel free to add a sprinkle or two. I think it’s lovely without it.
I’ve made it several times over the past year, and every time it has been wonderful.
I hope you like it, too.
(adapted from this recipe)
- Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust (use both crusts)
For Apple Filling:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 3 Tbs flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 6-8 Granny Smith Apples (or at least 2/3 Granny Smith and 1/3 other apples)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Center and place pie crust in a pie pan.
- Peel, core, and cut apples in slices.
- Place apple slices on top of pie crust.
- Melt butter in a pan. Add flour and mix well.
- Add sugar, brown sugar, and water. Whisk and bring to a boil. Let simmer on medium low for 5 minutes. Stir/whisk often.
- Pour hot sugar mixture over the apples in the pie pan, reserving a little bit to brush on top of the crust.
- Center and gently place pie crust over the mound of apples.
- Roll the top pie crust under the bottom pie crust. You might have bumpy large lumps in some parts but that doesn’t bother me. 🙂
- Use a fork to crimp the rolled together edges or use your fingers to crimp the edges.
- Use a sharp knife to make a few slits in the pie crust.
- Brush the reserved sugar mixture on top of the pie (can do this as soon as the top crust is added so the sugar mixture doesn’t harden.)
- Place pie on a cookie sheet (in case of overflow) and bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Reduce temp to 350 degrees and bake for 40-45 minutes.
There ya have it, friends. Our favorite apple pie recipe. We are looking forward to the upcoming holidays, as this pie will be served at both Thanksgiving and Christmas.
You can also add a scoop of SO Delicious Soymilk Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream on top of your warm, homemade apple pie.