I’m a planner. And it’s a good thing, too, because going on vacation is no vacation. Not when we don’t eat out. I just don’t trust anyone else to prepare SG’s food. I cook even on vacation. And ya know what? It’s not bad. If I plan ahead, it can even be easy!
Here are a few of my tips for preparing in advance for all of the cooking on vacation.
Make a yummy but easy menu plan for meals on vacation. Either bake and freeze foods in advance (muffins, pancakes, freezer meals, etc.) or prepare the dry mixes in baggies, pack and prepare at destination.
Here are some of my favorite breakfasts, meals and shortcuts for vacation:
- Vegan Muffins & Pancakes– I’ve baked and frozen the muffins for past vacations. Next vacay I’m preparing the dry mix at home and baking them fresh in our suite. We have a full kitchen in our hotel suite. I’ve found it’s a must have for us when vacationing.
- Oatmeal- I measure 1/4 cup of dry quick oats in a baggie. I store lots of them in a larger baggie and write the directions on the larger baggie. Directions: Add 1/2 cup “milk” & microwave for 90 seconds. I add a little plastic bowl of drained peaches to our oatmeal. Easy, fast and healthy!
- Pumpkin Bread– I’ve also baked and frozen these in the past. They travel well. However, since I’ve discovered how EASY it is to make fresh loaves if I prepare the dry mix beforehand, I will make these fresh on vacation.
- Garlic Chicken– prepare spice mix in advance and pack
- Stir Fry or “Cheesy” Taco Crescents using leftover Garlic Chicken- prepare homemade taco mix in advance and pack for “Cheesy” Taco Crescents
- Homemade Pizza
- Chicken Tacos
If you don’t already have a “Vacation Tub,” I highly recommend one! In addition to my vacation tub items, I’m packing every small appliance that I think I might need. I’m so paranoid about using someone else’s appliances due to cross contamination. Y’all milk allergy moms get it. 🙂 I’m not crazy. I’m just not taking any chances.
Next vacation I’m packing my:
- Bread machine
- Rice Cooker
- Mini Loaf Pan
- Microwave Popcorn Bowl
- Hand Mixer
- Crock Pots
- Pizza Pans
- Rolling Pin
We are obviously vacationing for a while and I’m in charge of all the meals for us and my parents, who will eat our diet while we are in town. So, pretty much, I’m taking tons of appliances. However, if you are going for a shorter vacay, I’d suggest taking a crock pot and toaster. And a rice cooker if you like rice. We have a toaster we leave at my parent’s house that no one can use except us, so I don’t have to pack that.
I also pack spice mixes in addition to all of my bread and muffin mixes. I premix the spices and put them in small labeled baggies.
Here are the spice mixes I like to have while on vacay:
- Spices for garlic chicken
- Ranch Mix
- Dragon’s Breath Popcorn Seasoning
- Pizza Sauce Spices
- Homemade Taco Mix
I’ve linked to recipes when possible. Please also click here and read my Recipes Substitutions page for more links to things like the recipe for the homemade taco mix, dry ranch mix, etc.