Mondays are our grocery shopping days. As a matter of fact, I’m sitting here delaying our grocery trip and writing this instead.
We started at 10:30 am and ran a few errands. Plenty of time to be back for lunch. An impulsive *quick* stop at Hobby Lobby derailed our entire morning and we had to *run* home for lunch before our grocery shopping. Two hours later and we’re still here procrastinating.
Anyway, this recipe just came to be today. I wanted SG to have something different than her vegan grilled cheese and fruit for lunch today.
It’s grocery day, and my fridge is BARE. I found my last pack of frozen cooked black beans in the freezer and decided to make my pizza beans mixture. We always use that for pizza nachos. But I was feeling lazy and didn’t want to carefully put the pizza beans, cheese & olives on each tortilla chip. (Crazy, right? Or maybe I just made complete sense to you and made you smile?)
So I decided to throw it all in a soft shell tortilla and call it a quesadilla.
Here’s how I made Vegan Pizza Quesadillas.
- 1 recipe of homemade pizza sauce (I add a generous sprinkle of nutritional yeast to my pizza sauce now)
- 1-2 cups of black beans (rinsed if from a can or jar, defrosted if cooked and frozen)
- Soft Flour Tortillas
- Daiya Mozzarella Cheese Shreds
- Nutritional Yeast
- Sliced Green Olives
- In a medium pot add beans and 5-8 big spoonfuls of pizza sauce. If you use 1 cup of beans, use 5 spoonfuls. If you use a can or jar of beans, you need more pizza sauce. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- I pour the hot beans into a measuring cup and use my immersion blender to puree the beans. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a blender or food processor. Be careful please. The beans are hot!
- Heat a skillet on medium. Spread out a few tortillas and top half of the tortilla with the bean mixture, vegan cheese, nutritional yeast, and olives. Fold the tortilla in half.
- Put the quesadilla on the hot skillet and heat until browned. Flip and brown the other side.
- Slice and serve with extra homemade pizza sauce, if desired.
I didn’t have any green onions but I think they would also be great in these quesadillas.
Enjoy from my cocina (kitchen) to yours!