I love Pinterest. I recently found this pin and was inspired. I knew I could make a dairy free version.
Add to the fact that my local Hy-Vee recently added an entire non GMO line of tomatoes of all shapes and sizes, and I knew that I could rock this pizza!
I used my regular pizza dough recipe, pizza sauce recipe and just added sliced tomatoes, Daiya mozzarella shreds & some fresh basil. Easy peasy!
Tomato Basil Pizza:
(adapted from this recipe from The Prudent Homemaker)
- 1/2 recipe of this pizza dough (I throw it in the bread maker and press dough.)
- 1 recipe of homemade pizza sauce (I add a sprinkle of nutritional yeast)
- Daiya Mozzarella Shreds to Taste
- 4-5 Sliced Roma Tomatoes
- 5-6 Sliced Yellow Tomatoes (mine were smaller than the Romas- Sunset brand)
- 2 Handfuls of Fresh Basil, torn
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces for thin crust pizza. Divide dough into 2 equal pizzas for a thicker crust.
- Use a floured rolling pin to roll out the dough into circles. Prick with a fork and bake each crust for 5 minutes.
- On partially baked crust, add sauce to your liking.
- Add a sprinkle of nutritional yeast (optional.)
- Add Daiya cheese.
- Add tomato slices, making an AB pattern with the tomatoes. (Former 1st grade teacher here!) 🙂 Fill the pizza with tomatoes.
- Top with torn basil.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes.
- This recipe yields 2 pizzas. (If you make 4 crusts you need to double the toppings and sauce. I always freeze the extra 2 crusts for pizza night the following week.)
SG helped me make the entire pizza. This is great for little hands. She made the pizza sauce, added the vegan cheese, placed the tomatoes & tore the fresh basil and placed it on the pizza. She has never been so excited for dinner to be ready.
And the Huzz declared this my best pizza ever!
Hurray for yummy new recipes!