Quick, Easy & Yummy! 3 Must Haves for My Kitchen.
I have changed the way I menu plan. For a few months now, I’ve dedicated days of the week to certain foods. On Wednesdays I make soups. I’ve tried lots of new soup recipes lately.
I pinned this recipe and knew it needed a few substitutions. Last Wednesday afternoon, I was going to follow the recipe, found it online and said aloud, “Oops! This is a CROCKPOT recipe!” It was 4 pm, y’all. Too late for the crockpot. I decided to use the original recipe as a very loose guide. I made lots of changes.
The end result? Delish. A recipe worth repeating. And my friend Lisa had it for lunch the next day and said it was a recipe she would make… woot woot!
I didn’t even use our favorite Daiya mozzarella shreds in the soup. I used nutritional yeast to give it a slightly cheesy taste. I did use the mozz shreds on the homemade croutons. Homemade as in the bread came from my bread machine…. YUM! Feel free to use store bought bread or even store bought croutons.
This recipe is SO easy! I also think it will freeze well, although I didn’t freeze it because we ate it all!
Here’s how I made Vegan Pizza Soup.
Vegan Pizza Soup
(adapted and inspired by this recipe)
- 2 Cups of Homemade Pizza Sauce (I decrease the pepper. I use 1/4 tsp pepper for double batch of sauce)
- 3 Cups Water
- Chopped Green Olives (Quantity to your preference- I want an olive in every bite!)
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper, Diced (feel free to use an entire bell pepper if you want)
- 1 Can/Jar of Red Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained, or 2 Cups of Cooked Kidney Beans (black beans would work, too)
- 1/2 to 1 Cup of Cooked Pasta (I used penne)
- Nutritional yeast
Homemade Croutons Ingredients:
- Add all the soup ingredients except for the pasta and yeast to a big pot and bring to a boil. Reduce and let simmer for flavors to meld. I think I simmered for maybe 15 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, prepare the croutons. Preheat the oven to broil on high.
- Butter the bread, generously sprinkle the garlic powder on the bread and sprinkle with Daiya Mozzarella shreds.
- Broil until nicely browned. Keep an eye on it because it can go from brown to burned very quickly. 🙂 Take out of the oven and let cool just slightly. Slice the bread into crouton sized pieces.
- Back to the soup. Add cooked pasta and a generous sprinkle of nutritional yeast to the soup pot. Stir and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until the pasta is heated through.
- Ladle soup into a bowl and top with the homemade croutons.
Pizza Soup with Homemade Croutons
The perfect bite!
Here’s a random side note. I linked to Randall Beans above in the ingredients list. I have a nickel allergy and since nickel can be in cans, I have to avoid all canned foods. For beans, I use dried beans and cook them myself. It’s super budget friendly. I recently found JARRED beans by Randall Beans and called and they are a dairy and egg free facility…WOOT WOOT! Major score for me! Anyway, I’m LOVING these jarred beans. My life just got a little easier.
I hope you enjoy this recipe.
Do you have any soup recipes to share?