On Thanksgiving day, I decided to deviate from my planned homemade ranch mashed potatoes, and try my hand at “regular” mashed potatoes.
It turned out perfectly! The Huzz told me to please write down what I did before I forgot how I made them. Yes!
If you are looking for creamy and “normal” tasting dairy free mashed potatoes, then you must try my Holiday Mashed Potatoes!
Here’s how I made them, on a whim.
Holiday Mashed Potatoes:
- 8-12 Yukon Gold Potatoes
- SO Delicious Lite Culinary Coconut Milk
- Vegetable Broth
- Vegan Butter
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Garlic Powder
- Peel and chop potatoes. Add to cook pot as you chop. Keep a small amount of water in pot to keep the potatoes from browning.
- Place pot on burner and set to medium high until the water boils. Reduce heat to medium. Boil potatoes until tender, stirring occasionally. I use a wooden spoon across the top of my boiling pot to keep the water from boiling over.
- Drain potatoes in a colander. Return the potatoes to the pot.
- Mash potatoes using potato masher. Use an immersion stick blender for even creamier potatoes.
- Add several large spoons of vegan butter and a generous splash of coconut milk. Add a small splash of vegetable broth. Mash a bit more.
- Add salt and pepper to taste along with 1 or 2 generous shakes of garlic powder if desired. Mix well.
- Taste. Add more coconut milk, vegetable broth and butter, a little at a time. Mix well, taste, and repeat until desired consistency and taste is achieved.
- Serve with homemade gravy. (Optional, but totally amazing!)
I’ve tried lots of different recipes for dairy free mashed potatoes. Most were okay, but I couldn’t find the perfect recipe. SG has never liked any of my attempts… until I tried my hand at homemade ranch mashed potatoes! To be honest, she loved them the first time I made them and then didn’t like them when I made them again tonight. Oh, four year olds!!!
However, the Huzz and I really LIKE these mashed potatoes, or “mashies” as we called them growing up. (Remember mashies, Tracy & Josh???)
I do make my own ranch dressing. Click here to read how to make dairy and egg free ranch dressing. You’ll need to make it for this recipe. To speed up making ranch dressing, I keep several recipes of ranch mix premixed and ready to go in a clean jelly jar.
Also, I read on a blog somewhere that yukon gold potatoes are the best for dairy free mashed potatoes. I have no idea if that is true or not, but I tried it for this recipe instead of my usual russet potatoes and it tasted good.
Homemade Ranch Mashed Potatoes:
4-6 Medium to Large Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 Tablespoons of non-dairy milk (I used my half and half sub)
8 Tablespoons of Homemade Ranch Dressing
1.5 small spoons of Vegan Butter (I used a regular small spoon)
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender. Drain water and return potatoes to hot pot. Mash potatoes.
2. Add non-dairy milk, ranch dressing & vegan butter. Stir until mixed.
3. Serve and enjoy.
By the way, I’ve never been a good photographer. My pics aren’t the greatest- I know. I do have a new camera and am still kind of clueless on how to take good photographs. I’m working on it! 🙂